Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Rex Smith
TheSubhuman
Rex Smith -Rock And Roll Dream 1976-1983 (6CD Box Set) due 24th March 2017 according to a SpinCDs mail out this afternoon.

Rex Smith, younger brother of Starz vocalist Michael Lee Smith, may be better known to his Stateside fans for his roles on stage and screen; playing motorcycle police officer Jesse Mach in the 1985 TV series 'Street Hawk', as well as guest appearances on 'The Love Boat', 'Baywatch', 'Daredevil', and 'Caroline In The City'. He also played Danny Zuko in the 1978 Broadway production of 'Grease', eventually becoming a household name via the popular daytime drama 'As The World Turns', whilst also replacing Andy Gibb as presenter on popular US TV music show 'Solid Gold' in 1982.

Prior to 'Solid Gold', Rex also had a prolific musical career, initially in the band Rex, before going solo under his own name. Cutting his teeth in the clubs of Atlanta, initially fronting the band Phaedra and then Trix, he was soon discovered by David Krebs of Leber-Krebs, then managers of Ted Nugent and Aerosmith, which directly led to a deal with Columbia Records. In 1976, Columbia released the eponymously titled 'Rex' (CD1), and despite the singer's teen idol good looks, this is a debut that mixes muscular, hard rocking riffs with plenty of melodic rock. On many tracks, particularly 'Ten Seconds Of Love', Rex predates 80s hair-metal, with a sound that would not have been out of place on a Motley Crue or Van Halen LP. 'Dead End Kids' is as heavy as the title would suggest.

Rex continued in this hard rock vein with 1977's 'Where Do We Go from Here' (CD2), but with a bigger, more stadium orientated sound. His fame and fortunes would take an upswing into the mainstream in 1979 when he was given a starring role in the TV movie 'Sooner Or Later' (CD3), which led to the album of the same name, featuring his first hit, 'You Take My Breath Away'. Moving further into a commercial path for 'Forever' (CD4), also issued in 1979, the album showcases Rex Smith's extraordinary vocal prowess as well as creative song writing power.

Releasing 'Everlasting Love' (CD5) in 1981, Rex enjoyed a further bona fide hit with a duet on the title track with Rachel Sweet. 'Everlasting Love' also features 'Still Thinking of You', co-written with a pre-fame Michael Bolton.

Produced by Ron Nevison, famed for his work with Led Zeppelin, UFO, Heart and Survivor, 1983's 'Camouflage' (CD6) saw a return to a more rockier style, with guest appearances from J. Geils Band's Peter Wolf, Linda Ronstadt and Aerosmith's Brad Whitford.

Each of the six albums is presented in its own 'mini album' sleeve, and the extended booklet features rare memorabilia, as well as an essay from Malcolm Dome based on new interviews with Rex. The set also includes three bonus 'mono' single versions, available on CD for the first time.
Edited by gdazegod on 05-02-2018 00:48

Carl Noonan
I have the Wounded Bird cd's but I'll probably get this. Have some Amazon Vouchers left from Xmas so will keep an eye on this. Certainly won't ever order another thing from SPIN. Probably the worst on line retailer I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. They are very quick to take money for stuff but never have the stock and won't reply to emails or answer the phone. An absolute disgrace and dodgy as f**k. After trying to get a refund for nearly 6 weeks I've had to ask my bank to charge the transactions back. Cheeky f**kers keep sending me those sales emails as well. I would advise anyone thinking of ordering from them to approach with caution.

TheSubhuman
Yes I have had the same issues with SpinCDs myself so they wouldn't be my place to deal either but, their emails do alert you to new releases.

Explorer
Nice one, thanks for the shout out on this one, and the warning about SpinCD's too. I notice that Cherry Red have it as a pre sale as well and a couple of quid cheaper too.

reyno-roxx
A pity the unreleased third Rex album Orville Davis told me had been recorded before Rex Smith decided to go solo remains in the vaults. There is also a fantastic King Biscuit live show to be officially released too.
Interesting that Malcolm had actually got hold of Rex to talk to him about the albums. Would've loved a crack at that job myself.
I have all the Wounded Bird CD's but will get this just for the booklet!

Jez
Nice..those Rex albums are terrific and 'Camouflage' is great too

http://www.freewebs.com/jezp/
misterpomp
I want a medal. I listened to all six of these albums over two days. Scraping together anything listenable from the 4 solo albums would be a chore. For manfully ploughing through all 4 (and there are even sonic problems on one of them - the label clearly fell asleep trying to get through them too) I want some sort of recognition. Of course, still worth keeping for the first two...

chrismayek
misterpomp wrote:

I want a medal. I listened to all six of these albums over two days. Scraping together anything listenable from the 4 solo albums would be a chore. For manfully ploughing through all 4 (and there are even sonic problems on one of them - the label clearly fell asleep trying to get through them too) I want some sort of recognition. Of course, still worth keeping for the first two...

I agree they're all kind of a mixed bag individually. The most AOR of the lot is Camouflage, but even that one isn't very good. "New Romeo" is probably the corniest song from that decade I've ever heard. At least the way Rex sings it

rkbluez
Love to see Rock Candy do the first 2 REX band CD's...don't care for the solo stuff...those two would make great reissues with the deluxe treatment.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Supreme Majesty - 2003 Danger, Ratt - 1986 Dancing Undercover, Mike And The Mechanics - 2017 Let Me Fly, Shyster - 1984 Shyster (Mini LP), Thought Chamber - 2007 Angular Perceptions, Dogpound - 2003 The Hellbum, Messina, Jim - 1983 One More Mile, Chicago - 1991 Twenty 1, Honeymoon Suite - 1988 Racing After Midnight, Hunter, John - 1984 Famous At Night, Steffanie - 1985 Hideaway, Bad Boy - 2003 We Should've Been Dead By Now, Grand Illusion - 2001 The Book Of How To Make It, Cyclops (USA) - 2008 Resurrection, Blinding Tears - 1986 Blinding Tears
Tags©
Rock Candy Records More Wounded Bird Kelly Simonz Loudshine Andres Chriss David Cassidy Actors And Actresses Nightingale Various Artists Quartz Firehouse Dungeon RCR X Japan Rainbow Lec Zorn Project Machine Men Megadeth Black Sabbath Vengeance Arjen Lucassen Hot Boy The Who EP Unruly Child Metallica Terra Nova Warrant Unruly Child White Sister Rock Candy Records Chastain Cinema Face Far Too Jones EP Mer Min
All Tags