Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
UNDER WRAPS by Jethro Tull... maybe a hi-tech AOR album?
schlockmania
Listened to this controversial album in full for the first time today. It's disowned by the majority of prog-rock fans, who wrote it off as an inexplicable venture into synth-pop.

However, a thorough listen shoots a lot of holes in that narrative. It's really more of a synth-heavy bit of hi-tech AOR to these ears. The songs have a lot of drive - guitarist Martin Barre adjusts nicely to the electronic approach, using percussive riffs to add texture and energy while Anderson does the same thing with his flute playing. The songs, mainly penned by Anderson with keyboardist Peter Vettese, are very melodic and carefully structured with an attention to hooky choruses.

The distinctly mid-'80s synth tones and programming approach give it a definite period piece quality but that's not a bad thing. Vettese's style is heavy on the parping and frills and the band really throws themselves into creating dynamic, colorful arrangements that keep things from getting totally electronic. This is the one Tull album with no flesh-and-blood drummer - it's all electronic percussion programmed by Anderson and Vettese - but it is done tastefully, with plenty of sonic variety and rhythmic drive.

In short, this much maligned album was a pleasant surprise for me and I think approaching it with a hi-tech AOR mindset might open it up for other listeners.

http://www.schlockmania.com
gdazegod
I'm actually a fan of their 80's output all the way through from 'A' up to 'Rock Island'. I'd be keen to write them up, we've doen a couple already.

A few Tull fans here.. computer work*

Jez
Don't shoot me..I prefer most of their 80's stuff onwards, especially 'Broadsword And The Beast' which is a monster album.

http://www.freewebs.com/jezp/
Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Hartmann - 2005 Out In The Cold, Saints And Sinners - 1992 Saints And Sinners, Monroe - 1980 Monroe, Ten - 2012 Heresy And Creed, Faragher Brothers - 1979 Open Your Eyes, Charlotte (USA) - 2010 Medusa Groove, Kennedy, Ray - 1980 Ray Kennedy, Beautiful Sin - 2006 The Unexpected, Sulton, Kasim - 1982 Kasim, Enuff ZNuff - 2000 10, Work Of Art - 2008 Artwork, Virginia Wolf - 1986 Virginia Wolf, Stevens, Steve - 2008 Memory Crash, Oklahoma - 1977 Oklahoma, Raleigh, Kevin - 1989 Delusions Of Grandeur
Tags©
Band Central Station Flame Motorhead Edguy Queen Paul Rodgers Anubis Gate Wounded Bird Jim Capaldi Cornerstone Valentine (1977) Black Star Riders Ozz Allen Lande Rock Candy Records Tane Cain Actors And Actresses Little Caesar Grand Alliance Jeff Paris Steve Hackett Live Albums Vance Or Towers Sting The Police The Claymore Boss Twisted Sister Lynx Lyle-Shipp Project Prophet Flower Kings The Imps Frank Soda Infinity Records Screams Barclay James Harvest Main Attraction
All Tags