Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
30 June - final day for this version of the GDM website
gdazegod
Ok, as some of you know, the migration plan continues to roll forward, as we move away from this platform, and onto our new one, through DokuWiki.

So, to give it a nudge, I have locked in a closing date, and it will be 30 June.

We probably won't have finished our migration by then, but there is much to do, and we need to be working on the new platform.

There are many reasons for the move, but the main one is: the web platform we use (PHP-Fusion) has itself migrated to a new version, but I'm very unhappy with its direction, the whole thing having gone pear-shaped over the last few years with infrequent software development and lack of programming/coding resources to get the job done, which really, should have been completed at least three years ago. So, I'm not waiting around.

Also, there are some performance issues, because the current version is not being supported anymore, meaning that technology moves forward, but this platform doesn't. Things like HMTL5 support, Responsive Theming, compatability with the latest versions of mySQL, Apache, and in particular PHP, make it risky to continue.

Our main content are our review articles, and we have thousands of the bloody things, but they are in good shape. To reformat them will take some time, and will pick away at them. We will look to create a script to convert the text files, which will hopefully speed things up.

My major problem, is what to do with our Forum content, and our Comments. This is not so easy, and would've been a problem no matter what direction we went in. The new Wiki platform is not able to handle an automated migration. So we might leave it open in the meantime as an archive of sorts, even though it's on another platform.

So, I will be reminding those of you who are regulars here, to register on the new Wiki platform long before the end of June, otherwise if you don't, you'll find on the 1st of July that the current/soon to be old system will no longer be available.

More soon.. thanks.. computer work

George

swazi
Well, Sir G., let me know where to register and I will do it in a millisec! Smile

http://www.bstuenkel.de/2.html
swazi
swazi wrote:

Well, Sir G., let me know where to register and I will do it in a millisec! Smile

Opps ..! Done! Wink

http://www.bstuenkel.de/2.html
gdazegod
So that users don't lose any NEW comments, I've turned the Comments and Ratings sections off.

You can of course, hop onto the new Wiki, login, find the article, and comment on them there.

My priority is to get the 2018 and 2017 articles in there first, because they are the most recent. Then pick away at all the other years.

Thanks.
G

Nick C
On my birthday then...any pressies of CDs to my address are welcome!
Edited by Nick C on 28-04-2018 02:07

Explorer
21 again eh Nick??, I'll see what I can dig out!

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Rub, The - 2002 Three Wishes, Journey - 2005 Generations, Holmes, Rupert - 1980 Adventure, Stardrive - 1974 Stardrive, Utopia - 1980 Adventures In Utopia, Hiroshima - 1989 Hiroshima, Journey - 1975 Journey, Load, The - 1976 Praise The Load, Vain - 1989 No Respect, Caldwell, Bobby - 1983 August Moon, Blind Date #2 - 2004 Blind Date, Liddle, Tony - 2009 Hearts Desire (10th Anniversary Spec Ltd Edition), Parsons, Alan (Project) - 1978 Pyramid, Judas Priest - 1976 Sad Wings Of Destiny, Mer Min - 1984 Mer Min (EP)
Tags©
Lancee Spread Eagle Queen Helix Rock Candy Records EP Yesterrock Lisa Price David Gilmour Lee Ritenour House Of Lords John Sykes Bullet (Sweden) Black Star Riders Genesis Lyrix Taffy McElroy Rock Candy Records Little Caesar Firew?lfe Terra Nova Shotgun Symphony Gary Moore Tragik Phil Vincent Vangelis Jon And Vangelis Jon Anderson Private Lightning Diesel (Holland) Stoneflower Norway Marshall Law Pagans Mind Queen Yngwie Malmsteen Michael Morales Flame
All Tags