The Bad Somethings - The Bad Somethings

ExplorerExplorer England
edited August 2 in year-2018

It's encouraging (well to me at least) that there are guys out there still willing to do this, I spent a lot of the 70's listening to music like this, and this release had me wallowing in a bit of nostalgia.

The Bad Somethings - The Bad Somethings
ARTIST: The Bad Somethings
ALBUM: The Bad Somethings
LABEL: Squib Kick Records
YEAR: 2018

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA Flag
LINEUP: Rob Richardson and David Barker - all instruments and vocals

TRACK LISTING: 01 Yeah,Yeah,Yeah * 02 Let It Roll * 03 Along For the Ride * 04 Oh Honey * 05 Body Language Psychology *06 My Bike * 07 High Speed King * 08 End Of The Night 09 New Generation

WEBLINKS: Site Link

Background

On the back of David's (dtabachn) excellent Rich Kid Express review comes 'The Bad Somethings' , which is an album released in 2018, so a little backtracking going on here, but unlike the one man show that is Rich Kid Express, main man Rob Richardson is ably assisted this time round by David Barker.

The Songs

All nine tracks have a classic/retro rock sound with its prime influence being early era KISS, but also with hints at the likes of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin.

Opener 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah' has that classic early KISS vibe going on, even down to the authentic sounding Ace Frehley guitar sound. 'Let It Roll' is a cover version from 1975 by the band Albatross. Hmm I'm not familiar with it, but is is heavy on the riffing and cowbell.

'Along For The Ride' and 'Oh Honey' are not quite as frantic with the former having a AC/DC vibe going on and the latter having a Led Zeppelin flavour.

'Body Language Psychology' is back to ploughing the KISS furrow again, and it sounds for all the world that Gene Simmons should be singing it. 'My Bike' is chock full of insistent riffing, and 'High Speed King' as the title implies fairly gallops along.

The album is finished off with 'End Of The Night' which sounds like an outtake from the KISS debut album and 'New Generation' which doesn't let the side down in any way.

In Summary

Very much like the Rich Kid Express EP, these guys are really into their retro sounding rock. It's authentic sounding and there's an obvious love for the 70's hard/melodic rock scene. It's encouraging (well to me at least) that there are guys out there still willing to do this. I spent a lot of the 70's listening to music like this, and this release had me wallowing in a bit of nostalgia.

Streaming Links

Bandcamp

Video

Yeah Yeah Yeah

Oh Honey

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.

Comments

• Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Lostralia
    All their songs are available to listen on their YouTube channel, just follow the link on the first video above, to listen to the rest.
  • Options
    dtabachndtabachn Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited March 2020
    They really captured the classic 70's hard rock sound and spirit. As Malc describes in his wonderful review, from the very first bars of the opening track you can feel that 'Rock and Roll Over' era vibe and Ace's seminal guitar style. Rob Richardson and his Squib Kick Records label are doing a marvelous job.