Mark Spiro - Now Is Then, Then Is Now

geoviangeovian Earth Orbit
edited August 1 in year-1996

this fantastic piece of AOR on the Swedish label West Coast, classic hooks and melting moments, topped off by some intelligence melded into the lyrics.

Mark Spiro - Now Is Then, Then Is Now
ARTIST: Mark Spiro
ALBUM: Now Is Then, This Is Now
LABEL: West Coast
SERIAL: WESTCD 5
YEAR: 1996

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA Flag
LINEUP: Mark Spiro - vocals, keyboards, programming * Michael Thompson - guitars * Tim Pierce - guitars

TRACK LISTING: 01 All The Love We Kill * 02 English Channel * 03 Stay Young * 04 In The Dark * 05 Around You * 06 Wind On The Water * 07 Son With The Walking Shoes * 08 London Is Burning * 09 Dancing With Einstein * 10 Through My Eyes * 11 Light In The Darkness * 12 Mid Western Skies

Background

Mark Spiro, perhaps one of the most gifted songwriters and performers on the AOR/melodic rock circuit today. He has appeared on many other artists albums, but who's major claim to fame is writing songs for others, helping them onto commercial success.

Anyone who's heard some of Mark's earlier efforts such as his 1986 debut and 1994's 'Care Of My Soul' will have found them indifferent and perhaps 'off the wall'. No such comparison then when compared with this fantastic piece of AOR on the Swedish label West Coast 'Now Is Then Then Is Now'. This is how people should associate Spiro with this genre of music.

Classic hooks and melting moments, topped off by some intelligence melded into the lyrics. The lineup assembled for the album is light, only hired guns Tim Pierce and Michael Thompson have been used, Spiro does the rest. A couple of the tracks are co-writes, such as 'English Channel' with John Waite, 'Through My Eyes' with Dann Huff, and 'London Is Burning' with Steve Kipner.

The Songs

The production is lush, ambient, and allows for the right instruments to come forward at the right moment during precedings. 'All The Love We Kill' is a great scene setter, and immediately dispels any thoughts to his 'Care Of My Soul' material. 'Stay Young' has some Toy Matinee flavours while modern percussion drives through on the jazzy 'Around You'.

'Wind On The Water' could have easily slotted in the debut Giant album with ease, I'm sure the Huff boys could've worked wonders with this one. I fell in love with the likes of 'In The Dark' and 'Light In The Darkness' such were their lushness, as too the effortless 'Midwestern Skies', the inspiration for our friends Par and Ola over at the website of the same name. Brilliant stuff.

In Summary

Since this album, Mark has moved to the MTM label and released the equally fabulous albums 'Devotion' and 'Thats What Dreams Are Made Of'. A contender for 'AOR Hall Of Fame' me thinks.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.

Tagged: