Cadillac Black, The - 2012 The Cadillac Black

ARTIST: The Cadillac Black
ALBUM: The Cadillac Black
LABEL: Nobody Buys Records
YEAR: 2012

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image

LINEUP: Jared Johnston - lead vocals, guitars * Neil Mason - drums, percussion, backing vocals * Kelby Ray -0 guitars, lap steel, backing vocals

TRACK LISTING: 01 I'm Southern * 02 Tennessee Mojo * 03 Get Your Buzz On * 04 Back It Up * 05 Down To The River * 06 Days Of Gold * 07 Turn It On * 08 I'm Rockin' * 09 Life * 10 The Sticks * 11 Whiskey Soaked Redemption

RATING: image

WEBLINKS: Site Link

Background

TCB or The Cadillac Black, are native Nashville residents Jaren Johnston, Neil Mason and Kelby Ray, who have been friends since teenagers.

They were previously three quarters of the band American Bang. Jaren Johnston co-wrote Keith Urban's #1 single 'You Gonna Fly'.

The Cadillac Black has come up with a sound that is unique to the Southern States and Confederate Nation, being radio friendly country anthems, heavy rock and traditional southern/country rock.

The Songs

'I'm Southern' opens this CD, the first thing that hits you is Jaren Johnston southern drawl, with some great lap steel guitar work from Kelby Ray.

Next up we have 'Get Your Buzz On' with its Tuesdays Gone reference.

'Back It Up', comes straight out of the Whiskey Myers school of southern rock, 'Down To The River' and 'Days Of Gold' are for my money the stand out tracks on this CD.

'Down To The River' a mid paced affair that you can imagine sitting out on the porch at dusk with the guitar in one hand and jar of moonshine in the other. This is a much slower track that creates a mood that matches the lyrics.

'Days Of Gold' is the bad boy of the whole album. I would have bought it just for this track alone. Built around Mason's thunderous, melodic percussion and Johnston's guitar with Ray's lap steel guitar. This song starts off and just builds into a crashing wall of sound. Not bad from a trio that has no bass guitar.

Elsewhere, we've got 'Turn It On', 'I'm Rockin', with the intro reminding me of early Status Quo, 'Life', with its distorted guitar work, 'The Sticks' plus the closing song 'Whiskey Soaked Redemption'.

In Summary

I thoroughly enjoyed this CD. It contains a musical mixture that has become fundamental with the new and prevailing southern sound.

The lap steel guitar is cleverly incorporated into TCB's very unique sound. Fans of Marshall Tucker, The Outlaws and Eric Church should head off to the nearest caryard in search of The Cadillac Black!

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.