Cdjapan to UK

edited April 2021 in INDUSTRY NEWS:

Since Brexit I have used CDJapan more, a good problem though is since January I have not been hit for customs charges. Anyone know if the threshold has increased as I would like to order more than 3 cds at a time, cheers.

Comments

  • Options
    I can't help but that's interesting news and I'd use them more if it is the case.

    Haven't bought from them since I got stung for taxes about 12 months ago.
  • Options
    Thanks anyway, yes on a good run 4 packages in a row with no charges, like you had not used them for awhile after being stung .
  • Options
    I just received Out Of This World disc from CD Japan only a couple days ago and was pleased (and surprised) to have no custom charges. I selected gift and padded envelope option so thought that might be the reason no charges, Even had text updates from Royal Mail including one saying 'your package has cleared customs' !!!
  • Options
    I was thinking of ordering the Japanese version of the new Robby Valentine album (5 bonus tracks BTW), I might just give it a try. I’ve not always been hit with import charges, and it seems a bit hit or miss with them.
  • Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Antipodes
    Personally, I believe custom charges are an absolute rip off. A fee for doing absolutely nothing. The same applies to stamp duty.
  • Options
    Maybe a bit off-topic, but: I'm always amazed about how much lower the postage from Japan is compared to that US Postal madness. I mean, these criminals might have single-handedly destroyed the oversea e-commerce between the US and Europe. Noone I know is purchasing anything from the US anymore.

    Rant over -> Back to the topic: I never had any customer charges or fees when ordering from CDJapan. And the customer support is always great!
  • Options
    richardbrichardb Poole, Dorset
    I suspect that they may have dropped the ball and you have avoided import VAT on this one. Because of Brexit/Covid/Lockdown HMRC is being pulled left right and centre at the moment. As I jointly run a business as a qualified tax adviser I'll spare you any further pontification!
  • Options
    I've found it to be complete pot luck to be honest. I've bought from CD Japan regularly on and off over the years and would say that 90% of those transactions have been tax free. However, the other 10% have been pretty expensive when you factor in the cost of CDs postage and then the tax charges. Three back to back that got flagged stopped me in my tracks.

    There are a couple of things tempting me back just now though, so I might give it another go.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    As Rob says I've stopped buying from U.S. completely unless it's via Amazon (someone like Allyourmusic) who still have regular costs. The most annoying at the moment is some won't export to the U.K. Getting the Kix - Midnite Dynamite - Re Lit is impossible, Fuse 30 - Reblown was hard enough but at least I managed to get that - Discogs sellers ain' t shipping even if I was to pay premium on this (which I probably would) and neither do the official store (but that one is because they are waiting for some VAT form post Brexit as I asked). But regular album and CD shipping from the U.S. is comical - I can and have sent a CD or two over to the U.S. at a fraction of the costs being quoted for the other way across the Atlantic.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Just on about this again - I was about to buy a 2 disc CD set on Discogs from the U.S. for $15 - postage was $47 making the purchase $63 !!! :D Oh well guess I'll buy it elsewhere.
Sign In or Register to comment.