Discuss a band that you started with a ‘greatest hits’, but then kept going....

There’s a variety of reasons you might buy a ‘greatest hits’ album.... limited finances (common for all of us as teens, I’m sure) or maybe you’re not sure how you feel about a band, so you decide to ‘give them a try’.

Can you think of a band that you started out with a hits package but then ended up getting all their regular albums? (maybe making the hits album superfluous?)

For me, the first off the top of my head is Wings and ‘wings greatest’. I got that at 13, then bought their new ‘back to the egg’ album. And then kept going backwards. (that Beatles thread got me thinking how much I’ve loved McCartney over the years!)

Another I’m a little embarrassed to admit is Queen.... I started with their 1981 greatest hits when I was 15. I’ve since made amends and now have a robust Queen collection (thanks to some of the nice write-ups found here!).

What are your examples?

Comments

• Options
    DaveTDaveT Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited June 2021
    For me, there's two bands that I remember I started with them like that.

First is Deep Purple. I bought their 'The Anthology' double compilation from 1985 (the 2 cassette release). The song Hush hooked me instantly, and through the years I've purchased all their albums up until 1990's Slaves And Masters plus several bootlegs as well. Out of the heavy metal fathers (Zeppelin, Sabbath), Purple are my favorite band by a mile to this very day.

Second is Lynyrd Skynyrd. I had gone to the cinema to see the movie 'They Call Me Renegade' (starring Italian born actor Terence Hill, Bud Spencer's legendary film partner) and the melodies of Call Me The Breeze and especially Simple Man got stuck in my head for weeks until I found the 'Skynyrd's Innyrds' compilation, that included the first song I've mentioned but not my favorite, the second one. Over time, I found that song on their debut and bought all of their albums. I parted ways with the cassette copy of said compilation years ago. But Skynyrd remains one of my top bands ever.
  • Options
    I'm kind of the opposite way. I only ever buy greatest hits from bands where I don't really feel I'll ever need the full catalogue, such as Foo Fighters of The Eagles. Both are bands that have a few songs I like but not enough ti make me want to dig deeper. Thinking about it, I have very few Greatest Hits at all - and most of them were bought for bonus tracks -and I seldom, if ever, listen to any of them.
  • Options
    Good point, Steven. I found myself in the same situation you've mentioned with regard The Rolling Stones, The Ramones and Red Hot Chili Peppers plus a few grunge bands the likes of Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and Alice In Chains.

On the other hand, and perhaps this is a subject for another discussion, there's greatest hits album I consider as great (no pun intended) such as Billy Joel's, Journey's, Bob Seger's and the Steve Miller Band's. I'm not saying their regular albums are not worthy (on the contrary), but to me they are examples of brilliant compilations.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Be-Bop Deluxe for me, I bought The Best and the Rest of on vinyl years ago in a sale at the local Virgin Records mainly for Ships in the Night and didn't stop playing it.
    Also Blue Oyster Cult - I picked up the CD Workshop of the Telescopes at a car boot simply because it was dirt cheap, I'd heard bits by them previously but as many I just kind of associated them with Don't Fear the Reaper and although I knew they were quite revered in "rock circles" and had a big back catalogue I had no desire to really hear any more as it wasn't a song I was ever enthralled with. But again got to listening to some of the things on that set and ended up quite a fan.
  • Options
    EmdaEmda Odenwald / Germany
    edited June 2021
    Rush - A Show Of Hands in 1988. Not a greatest hits but a hits package and a great kick off. "Subdivisons" was the first song that got me hooked and I then worked my way through their entire discographie. Fantastic band unfortunately never seen live.
  • Options
    I was going to mention The Rolling Stones, bought Hot Rocks 64/71, then tried a few of their studio albums...nah. Probably controversial but The Stones are surely the most overrated band in the world...aren't they?
    Tin hat at the ready...LOL!!
  • Options
    Shoot me as well ;) . I like Rolling Stones cover versions by KISS (2000 Man) and Peter Frampton (Jumpin' Jack Flash) way more than the original recordings.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Yeah not a big Stones fan, a long time back I was once was asked if I could copy a couple of albums from vinyl to CDR for a friend and it was the longest three weeks of my life (or so it seemed ... 90 mins tops?). The only song I like by them is the cover of Little Red Rooster as my sis had it and it was one of the first songs I listened to as I'd play her stuff when I was small. Much prefer the Beatles if I have to choose between the two biggies of the day and if I'm being real choosy out of the Beatles it's McCartney over Lennon every time.

But there you go, back to the greatest hits topic - I have the two Beatles ones - the Red and the Blue collection, I also have Sgt. Pepper to see what the fuss was about - but really not interested in hearing any more - I only bought that little lot in the last 3 years or so and it's honestly clinging on in my collection - but again a lot of their early stuff my sis had and so I listened to it. Whereas some Paul McCartney solo/Wings stuff I quite like - but again only have Band on the Run which is ace, but been toying with getting Ram recently.
  • Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Antipodes
    George Benson released a 2LP set around late 1981 and 1982 which I bought, then inconveniently borrowed out to my cousin only to never see it again.

https://www.discogs.com/George-Benson-The-George-Benson-Collection/release/1328502
  • Options
    I have that George Benson album George… pretty sure that’s the only album you’ll find ‘turn your love around’ on.

The funny story is that Jay Graydon remembers writing that song while sitting on the toilet!
  • Options
    Deep Purple ‘Deepest Purple’ 1993 or 94 I believe.
  • Options
    CandymanCandyman Australia
    I was a late comer to Rush. I didnt quite get what all the fuss was about. That all changed It after listening to the Spirit of Radio best of a few times and now i'm a fan.
  • Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Antipodes
    If you consider 1970's single and double live albums as a 'sort of' GH collection, then I'll add UFO, Teaze, Thin Lizzy, The Outlaws and Kiss, as I acquired their live albums before their studio albums.
  • Options
    Yeah - with live albums as a kind of "best of" mine would be Head East & REO Speedwagon, had those first before getting all the studio ones.
  • Options
    Great shout with A Show Of Hands by Rush, Emda. I played that album to death when it came it and it was my way into that band, big time. I was aware of them but they just hadn't clicked with me. A friend gave me cassette of ASOH and suddenly, BOOM, I was hooked.

I binned my cassettes many years ago and actually went to play A Show Of hands yesterday and realised that I don't have it! That needs to be rectified real soon.

That also got me thinking about the times I used to walk to work when I was between the ages of 15 & 17 (before I could drive) with a trusty walkman on and those (copied) cassettes really made a huge impact on me. The albums that seemed to be constant companions at that stage were...

Rush - A Show Of Hands (obviously)
    David Lee Roth - Skyscraper
    Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
    Manowar - Fighting The World
    Marillion - Season's End
    House Of Lords - ST
    Lillian Axe - Love & War

...and many more!
  • Options
    PatrickHemmingPatrickHemming Tampa Florida
    Live albums did the trick for me back in the day, 1975 through 1981….between the ages of six to twelve. A lot of bands that I would have wanted hits collections from didn’t have them, but they did have live albums and in a lot of ways they served the purpose of a hits collection.

However, two albums that come to mind that fit the bill are Queen’s Greatest Hits & The Beatles’s Red Double Album collection.
  • Options
    Those red and blue double albums by the Beatles were my first purchase by them as well. So many of their hits were non-lp releases that these still hold up as terrific collections to have. (And gotta love the covers with the same shot taken at different times. Boy did they change in a short time both visually and musically).

My only complaint about greatest hits albums is when they contain a new track. So if you’ve already bought all their studio albums, now you have to shell out for the redundant greatest hits lp just to get that new track. Not cool… unless it was released as a single.

… I’m thinking of Cars greatest hits which added on ‘tonight she comes’
  • Options
    PatrickHemmingPatrickHemming Tampa Florida
    Good point, standard practice, especially back in the day. Hall & Oates gave us two new songs on Rock & Soul, Say It Isn’t So & Adult Education. I’ll give them credit for having the balls to add two new songs, alongside some huge hits, knowing damn well they would join them on the charts.