The Night Flight Orchestra - Chardonnay Nights

DEMONAORDEMONAOR Ås,Akershus, Norway
edited July 27 in Videos of the Week

Comments

• Options
    PatrickHemmingPatrickHemming Tampa Florida

Another terrific song from the band. I’m starting to get used to this new way of releasing new music.

• Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Lostralia

This is a song for Nick C and wife Wendy. Wine Nights! :p

• Options

I’m mostly a beer man myself. Lol

• Options

Time for this band to call it quits, stale as bloody hell. It's great that they dig melodic rock and all that, but to my ears they've run through every AOR trope going - lyrically, musically - and are now just chasing their tale in search of a song. I'm gonna take a punt and bet that their next song is called 'Caribbean Dreams' - if they haven't done that already.

• Options

I keep trying with this band because everything I read tells me I should love them, but this is just OK and I still don't connect with the vocals. He's a bit like a budget John Payne.

• Options
    edited July 28

I knew it was over for me with this band when I played their last album once and didn't bother again. They've become a parody of a parody. I made it through about half of this track and that was enough.

• Options
    edited July 28

A parody of a parody is about right. Their inspiration is running so bloody low that the next thing you know they'll be making the obligatory covers album. Not that they need to of course cos that's all their entire output consists of.

Still, I'm looking forward to their 80s AOR spin on classic rock tunes such as 'Born To Be Wild', 'Paint It Black', 'Hey Joe', 'Sweet Home Alabama', 'Whiskey In The Jar', 'Hair Of The Dog', 'Nights In White Satin', 'Something In The Air', and last but not least, ubiquitous hard rock compilation stinker 'Parisienne Walkways'.

• Options

So, the novelty is wearing off then?

• Options

Clearly I’m in the minority here. They, along with Brother Firetribe & W.E.T., Keep releasing great album after great album imo.

• Options
    DaveTDaveT Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited July 28

We are all in the minority most of the time, either if we are aware of it or not. :)

I like this song, both the music and the sound. It takes me back to the late Disco era, yet with a foot firmly in today's sound.

• Options

Different strokes for different folks, I get it. We all share a common bond in loving at least one of the melodic rock music genres represented here at GloryDaze. Impossible for all to agree on the same things, thank God. lol As long as your musical soul is being fed I say, “Good on you.”.

• Options

I can think of bands like Balance, Speedway Boulevard, FCC, Snowball.. that were all doing this stuff long before NFO turned up.

• Options
    edited July 28

Good lord yeah, somebody had to be first. Those are some classic bands. NFO is guilty of borrowing from them as much as Bon Jovi is borrowing from Aldo Nova.

• Options
    edited July 29

Thing is these dudes have been around for a decade or so now, made about 5 albums along the way. To me it's only natural that a band like NFO would start to flag after so many years mining the AOR glory years. I mean there's only so much you can work with before repetition of ideas sets in. It's also occurred to me that these dudes weren't expecting NFO to take off like it did and are now milking it for all the coin they can get. Good on them for that, I guess. But as I've already said, they'd been at it for years before word got out. And it was in those years of relative obscurity that their best stuff was done. Now they're just going through the motions, making tired arsed AOR songs and videos for kids who don't know any better.

• Options
    edited July 29

Give me your tired ass AOR I guess. Lol Somebody has to like it. Why not me?

• Options

Don't worry, @PatrickHemming , you're not alone. I still like NFO and happen to think that Aeromantic was their best release so far. It all comes down to personal taste, there's no right or wrong. Except for my taste, which is of course a fabulous one, but that's not the topic right now :smiley: .

• Options

I'm not down on these guys like some are, they just don't float my particular boat but I can see their appeal.

I must admit that I like what I like and don't really worry about much more than that. A recent band that I love are Evership. They sound like classic 70s prog mixed with classic 70s AOR. Is it new? Not really. Are they good? Damn right!

• Options
    edited July 29

It's cool you dig Night Flight, Patrick. I did too once. I just burned out on their music is all, my brain can't digest it anymore. But I'm not on a crusade to convert folk to my way of thinking. Right now I'm sitting here listening to Airbourne, perhaps the most blatant AC/DC ripoff to ever exist. I know it yet still dig em anyway. It's just horses
    for courses, man. Rock on.

• Options

No worries my friends. I compleatly get that one man’s ceiling may be another man’s floor. “It’s only rock & roll & I like it” as someone once said.