Tony Lewis - Out Of The Darkness

geoviangeovian Earth Orbit
edited September 28 in year-2018

Tony Lewis kept up musical appearances, and released his one and only solo album 'Out Of The Darkness' in 2018, all of the tracks should make this album a compatible bookend for the other Outfield albums you have in your collection.

Tony Lewis - Out Of The Darkness

ARTIST: Tony Lewis
ALBUM: Out Of The Darkness
LABEL: Madison Records
YEAR: 2018

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Flag England
LINEUP: Tony Lewis - lead and backing vocals, all instruments * Tanner Hendon - drums

TRACK LISTING: 01 Into The Light * 02 Here And Now * 03 Only You * 04 The Dance Of Love * 05 All Alone * 06 I'll Still Be Here * 07 Loving You * 08 Melt The Ice * 09 Dreams And Wishes * 10 You Think That You Know Me * 11 Thank You (For Breaking My Heart) * 12 I Know

RATING: Score of 85%
WEBLINKS: Site Link

Background

Tony Lewis is best remembered as the singing bassist for the 80's melodic pop trio The Outfield. The band released a slew of albums, and their discography goes from 1985 to 2011 with ten albums in the can, and officially disbanding upon the passing of guitarist John Spinks in 2014. Lewis however kept up musical appearances, and released his one and only solo album 'Out Of The Darkness' in 2018.

He performed most of the instruments himself with some drum assistance from Madison Records owner and inhouse engineer Tanner Hendon. As a member of The Outfield, it was John Spinks who did most of the heavy lifting in terms of songwriting, so it was always going to be an interesting observation to see how Tony fared on his own.

The Songs

Twelve tracks, and I'm very surprised that there was little fanfare about this album back in 2018. Certainly we missed the boat as did many others. All the rock critics must have absconded to another planet! There's no mistaking that familiar voice, a friend over the airwaves to many during the 80's. Listening to 'Out Of The Darkness' it should come as no surprise that The Outfield remains the principle reference point. There's no getting away from that fact.

'Into The Light' was the lead off track and first single from the album, and from the outset you'd be thinking this was a long lost Outfield album such is the similarity. Tony made a video for 'Here And Now' and the point made on the previous track is repeated here. Even this early on during the review process, you'll be getting the picture.

The album presents ballads and jangly rockers, all played in an 80's context, there's nothing here that will tip the apple cart, Lewis keeping to the tried and true formula that made his career a success in the first place. All of the tracks should make this album a compatible bookend for the other Outfield albums you have in your collection.

In Summary

As most of us know, Tony passed away unexpectedly on October 19th 2020 at the relatively young age of 62. He leaves behind a legacy of a fine career in music and that he and his bandmates shared their music to the world.

Affiliate Buy Links

Video

Here And Now

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.