geoviangeovian Earth Orbit
edited November 2022 in Year-1997

ARTIST: Stone Soup
ALBUM: Spooge
LABEL: MTM Music
SERIAL: 199620
YEAR: 1997

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image
LINEUP: Patrick Klein - vocals, guitars * Matt Wells - guitars * Kanin Thomas - keyboards, programming * Michael Anderson - guitars, bass, vocals

TRACK LISTING: 01 Fighting The Good Fight * 02 The Ultimate Touch * 03 Can't Sell Me Love * 04 Not A Day Goes By * 05 Promises * 06 Run For Your Love * 07 Youngblood * 08 Right Before My Eyes * 09 Hit Where It Hurts * 10 Hard Fall

Background

Initially from the central hub of Indianapolis, then more recently via New York, come Bon Jovi clones Stone Soup. First coming to our attention as the band French Lick, these guys released some demo's into the AOR underground in the mid-late 80's.

Containing some great songs, it wasn't until the mid 90's that this material surfaced under the auspices of the MTM label, some years after it was first released. The same old story abounds - for those looking for the next big break in the rock 'n' roll business. This holds true for this band, who ventured east to New York looking to get signed.

They did, but after a legal dispute, their new label Atco dropped them, not wanting to inherit any problems. For whatever reason they kept missing the boat. Perhaps grunge was to blame, the legal wrangle they found themselves in, who knows. In any case, MTM saw fit to finally do justice to the material by putting it out themselves.

The Songs

Not sure why the name change came about. It's a bit silly really ain't it? However, there are some boomer songs on the album.

Who could not be switched on listening to tracks such as 'Fighting The Good Fight', the Survivor oriented 'Promises' (containing a slightly different mix than the original demo), or the melodic attack of 'Right Before My Eyes'. And this is just the start.

'Run For Your Love' literally gallops across the studio floor, followed hard on the hooves by 'Youngblood'.

Elsewhere 'Not A Day Goes By' (not the Peter Beckett track) is a gorgeous piano-based ballad while the parping keyboards of 'The Ultimate Touch' do get annoying but ultimately (excuse the pun) this song is pretty cool.

In Summary

I think MTM got it right with the release of 'Spooge', though really the momentum was lost years before this eventual CD saw the light of day. Should be easy enough to track down on CD now, and it's a definite addition to the collection one would imagine.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.