ARTIST: Milsap, Ronnie
ALBUM: Keyed Up
LABEL: RCA Nashville
SERIAL: AHL1-4670
YEAR: 1983
CD REISSUE: 1989, RCA, 5993-2-R

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image

LINEUP: Ronny Milsap - vocals, keyboards

TRACK LISTING: 01 Stranger In My House * 02 Watch Out For The Other Guy * 03 Don't You Know How Much I Love You * 04 Show Her * 05 Don't Your Mem'ry Ever Sleep At Night * 06 I'm Just A Redneck At Heart. * 07 Feelings Change * 08 Like Children I Have Known * 09 Is It Over * 10 We're Here To Love

Background

Ronnie Milsap was one of country music's most popular and influential performers of the 70's and 80's.

Milsap became country music's first successful blind singer, and one of the most successful and versatile country 'crossover' singers of his time.

Milsap's sound shifted toward string-laden pop and rock during the late 1970s which resulted in success on the pop charts beginning in the early 1980s.

'Keyed Up' may be the high watermark for crossover consistency and appeal.

The Songs

The album kicks off with 'Stranger In My House'. This was Milsap's first two-step into AOR territory, alienating some hard core country bumpkins when it got released as a single that year.

'Show Her' is a typical ballad Milsap is accustomed to and is tolerable.

'Don't Your Memory Ever Sleeps At Night' is a great keyed up version of the Steve Wariner song that was a top forty country hit that year.

Standard Milsap fare continues with 'Watch Out For The Other Guy' which is filler imo.

Ronnie trots down the AOR pasture slightly for 'I'm Just A Redneck At Heart'. While the horn section sounds dated, it shows Ronnie was flirting with a more contemporary sound at the time.

'Don't You Know How Much I Love You' is a great song even for the non-country fan and one of his bigger hits of the 1980's.

'Feelings Change' is another great ballad, a country crossover triumph for Milsap.

The closest thing to traditional country on the album, is 'Like Children I Have Known'. A decent song that one could easily hear Garth Brooks, John Anderson, George Strait, etc. putting a mark on.

'Is It Over' is Ronnie again at his balladeer best. The song became a huge hit in the Philippines despite never being released in the US.

The album wraps up with 'We're Here To Love' which kinda meanders at six plus minutes.

In Summary

'Keyed Up' fetches for lofty prices on ebay and has been long out of print.

Other crossover successes for Milsap included the Top 5 pop single, '(There's) No Gettin' Over Me', and two Top 20 songs in 'I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World' and 'Any Day Now', the latter which lasted five weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.