Melodica - 2000 Long Way From Home

ARTIST: Melodica
ALBUM: Long Way From Home
LABEL: Frontiers
SERIAL: FRCD 057
YEAR: 2000

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image image
LINEUP: Ted Poley - vocals * Gerhard Pichler - guitars * Joe Slattery - bass * Marty Brassington - drums * Charlie Calv - keyboards

TRACK LISTING: 01 It's Not Enough * 02 Never Let You Go * 03 Come Runnin' * 04 Best Friend * 05 Hardest Part Of Love * 06 Forget About You * 07 Playing With Fire * 08 Long Way From Home * 09 Sleeping With The Enemy * 10 Take Me Away * 11 A Long Time Ago

Background

Here we have the latest release from former Danger Danger frontman Ted Poley. Melodica's 'Long Way From Home' sees Ted Poley in partnership with unknown Austrian guitarist Gerhard Pichler and some help on bass and drums from Norway's rhythm section.

According to the press release these guys were going for a sound somewhere between Bad English and early Danger Danger. Did they achieve their aim? Not really.

There are slight Bad English references, but I really can't hear anything resembling Danger Danger. For the most part this is straight-laced AOR/Melodic Rock with mid-tempo rockers and silky ballads. If you're looking for big-ass chorus' like 'Bang Bang' from the DD debut, look elsewhere. This album is not that immediate.

The Songs

When I first listened to this album I was majorly disappointed. But with a few more spins I found more to appreciate and now regard it in a better light. However, there is a lot of room for improvement.

While rockers such as 'It's Not Enough', 'Never Let You Go' and 'Sleeping With The Enemy' do get the blood pumping, the remaining material only plods along.

I think one of the reasons for this is Ted's seemingly strained vocals. His voice just doesn't seem in great shape and as a result many of the tracks, while musically strong, fall short because of the indifferent vocal performance.

On a better note Gerhard Pichler gives a polished performance on guitar, shining on the excellent instrumental track 'A Long Time Ago'.

In Summary

This is a reasonable first-up attempt and shows potential. I await 2001 for album 2 hoping that the vocals have improved enough to bring out the best in Melodica.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.