luigiluigi NZ
edited April 3 in year-2005

ARTIST: James Christian
ALBUM: Meet The Man
LABEL: Frontiers
SERIAL: FRCD 210
YEAR: 2005

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image
LINEUP: James Christian - vocals, keyboards * Biggs Brice - drums * Roberto Vanni, JM Scottolin - guitar * Fabrizio V. Zee Grossi - bass, keyboards * Robin Beck, Francis Benitez - backing vocals

TRACK LISTING: 01 After The Love Has Gone * 02 Know You In The Dark * 03 Surrender Your Love * 04 Meet The Man * 05 End Of Time * 06 Love Looked Into My Life * 07 Leave Well Enough Alone * 08 Strong Enough * 09 You Should Be Blue * 10 Circle of Tears * 11 Hold Back The Night

RATING: image

Background

I'll get it out of the way now. The last House Of Lords album, 'The Power And The Myth,' did nothing for me. Boring to say the very least. So it was with more than a little trepidation that I approached 'Meet The Man'.

I consider James Christian one of melodic rock's premier vocalists and I was gutted by what I heard on 'The Power and the Myth'. It is with relief that I can report that James has emphatically returned to his melodic rock roots.

The Songs

However, 'Meet The Man' is not as perfect an album as many would have wished for. There are some blindingly good tracks, but they emerge in the latter half of the album, leaving the first half sounding a little jaded.

Most of the earlier tracks, such as opener 'After The Love Is Gone', 'Know You In The Dark', and 'End Of Time', are mid-tempo with good choruses and harmonies, but nothing too startling. It is after 'Love Looked Into My Life' that things get more interesting, with some top draw rockers and James giving the vocal chords more than a decent workout.

'Leave Well Enough Alone' is quite superb and close to a melodic rock masterpiece. Stan Bush is the writer of 'Strong Enough', a punchy and very catchy number. One of the highlights of the album is 'Circle Of Tears', complete with a heavier rocking riff and smooth chorus.

In Summary

When I first listened to this album I was very, very impressed, and prepared to give it a high mark. Upon reflection I realise that in all fairness it is a good album that could have been so much better with a couple more in-your-face rockers.

The production doesn't do the songs any favours either, being quite flat at times, especially in the drum department. What this album does prove is that James is still a quality vocalist. Let's just hope that he can do it again for the next House Of Lords album.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.