Luis Cardenas - Animal Instinct

geoviangeovian Earth Orbit
edited August 2 in year-1986

In 1986 Luis Cardenas was the owner of the biggest drum kit on the planet, the drummer from the band Renegade went solo with this album the same year.

Luis Cardenas - 1986 Animal Instinct
ARTIST: Luis Cardenas
ALBUM: Animal Instinct
LABEL: Allied Artists Music
SERIAL: CDO 72200
YEAR: 1986
CD REISSUE: Discogs Reissue List

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Flag USA
LINEUP: Luis Cardenas - vocals, all instruments

TRACK LISTING: 01 I'm Crying * 02 Hungry For Your Love * 03 Blasting Off * 04 Standing In The Rain * 05 Go All The Way (The Raspberries) * 06 Runaway (Del Shannon) * 07 Still Waiting * 08 I Told You Once * 09 Mysterious Lady * 10 Nightmare * 11 Animal Instinct

WEBLINKS: Site Link | Wikipedia Link

Background

Los Angeles based Luis Cardenas was part of the Latin heavy metal band Renegade, their only LP is reviewed here at Glory Daze (click the tag below). The band were signed to Allied Artists Music, which was a subsidiary of Allied Artists International, who made their fortune through the film/movie/tv industry as well as creating soundtracks.

In the 80's, the Allied Artists Music label included the likes of the aforementioned Renegade and David Hasselhoff. Other acts were also associated with the label but I have not included them for lack of verifiable releases.

In 1986, Cardenas went on BBC television to demonstrate his 'largest drum kit in the world', which was verified by the Guinness Book of Records at the time. It's since been superceded. Click this YouTube clip to view it.

Allied Artists then organised Luis to release his first solo record 'Animal Instinct' also in 1986. An admirable record because Luis played and sang everything on it.

The Songs

Luis prides himself as the 'singing drummer' following in the path of Kelly Keagy and Gil Moore but his skillset on other instruments is pretty decent. But it's that shrill vocal on the high notes which will make your hair stand on end.

The highlights include the Del Shannon chestnut 'Runaway', though in saying that the original is always considered the benchmark. Luis gives The Raspberries cover 'Go All The Way' a shot, its decent enough but I prefer it when things heavy up.

For example 'Blasting Off' and 'Still Waiting' take it up a notch with guitar riffs to the fore. Another likeable track is 'Nightmare' which is like a haunting mini rock opera. The other tracks I can take it or leave it.

In Summary

Overall, 'Animal Instinct' doesn't quite match up to the creme of the crop released during 1986. It's an OK album and kudos goes to Luis as a one-man does it all affair. Luis is still in the music business but also has a thriving realty business. Check out the website link above to see what he's up to.

Video

Runaway

Hungry For Your Love

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.

Comments

• Options
    DaveTDaveT Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited January 11
    The Runaway video is one of the funniest OTT ever. That rock-star dinosaur playing the guitar solo, lol!
  • Options
    I bought the 12" picture disc of 'Runaway' after seeing the video on (I think) No Limits on BBC2.

A real fun version of a great song but the b sides were ho-hum enough that I never ventured as far as the album.
  • Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Lostralia
    The comedy actress Phyllis Diller is in the video for Hungry For Your Love.
  • Options
    At one of the rock clubs in Manchester I used to go to they would pay the video for Runaway a real lot. Cool video.