Rock Candy Online Store

edited January 2021 in INDUSTRY NEWS:

Today I got this message from Rock Candy via Mail:

"Rock Candy Records has been bringing freshly remastered CDs to the world since 2006.. and you may have forgotten or missed some gems from our past with hundreds released since we began!
Here is a reminder of just 10 of them.. all with a 3,000 word accompanying booklet, exclusive pics and interviews, and often, bonus unheard tracks too AND all remastered in the way only Rock Candy Records can! Dive into the full catalogue here www.rockcandyrecords.com

Okay, so I went there hoping for some cool bargains, special offers, sale etc. (other labels like Esoteric do that once in a while). But no, it's the same old stuff, the same prices we all know in and out. So what's the point? There's nothing interesting for the customer. We don't a reminder of your catalogue. Give us a good reason to push the buy button now!

Comments

• Options
    RkbluezRkbluez Rhode Island USA
    Got the same message...anybody who buys their stuff knows what they have in stock and probably already bought the titles they need. They need to send out newsletters of what's coming out and what they are working on for future releases and keep the site more up to date...shouldn't be that hard...it hardly ever gets updated so I hardly ever go there for RC info.
  • Options
    Rock Candy have released some great stuff over the years but I buy very little of it purely down to price.
  • Options
    Steve don't know if it's what's going on over in the UK but the price of imports here in the US have all gone up by $2 or $3 on almost everything...time to be more picky and buy less coasters I guess...the Rock Candy stuff has gone up $3 per disc at Import CD making it a little harder to justify a nice booklet and sometime better sound.
  • Options
    I used to buy my Rock Candy stuff on Ebay from a local seller in Melbourne AUST when I was living there. Postage was cheap as chips, so too the still sealed CDs. I bet it's not like that now.
  • Options
    Leaves me to the question why RC never ever does any siginificant sales, special offers or bargains? Pretty poor marketing if you aks me...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I'd guess that the price rises will be 100% down to the unfathomable nonsense happening here in the UK these days Steve. It's impacting what I buy from outside the UK in terms of music, comics, books. Pretty much everything.

Completely agree Rob, if RC did a proper sale I'd lump a big pile of my CD spending their way. As it is they get almost zero spend from me - not that they'll be too worried by that news I suppose.
  • Options
    I'm lucky that I have a local retailer who gets some RC stuff for a reasonable price (10 €). Otherwise I probably wouldn't buy any of their titles these days...
  • Options
    Was going to pick up the 3 new Legs Diamond titles but with the increase in price I just can't justify it anymore...I already have those on the original MFN and Metal Blade CD's...as I do with the Rods High Voltage versions...so if RC wants to get any money from me then they better start releasing stuff that's not already on CD that I really need or drop their wholesale price down so these distributors don't have to jack up their prices.
  • Options
    But there are 10 bonus tracks not on the previous CDs of the Legs Diamond releases.
  • Options
    Good point John. BTW, what is the price that Rock Candy are selling their CD's for?
  • Options
    ExplorerExplorer England
    edited January 2021
    Those Legs Diamond albums were the last things I bought from RC. Well worth the price.
  • Options
    I don't remember the exact prices George but with postage they were more than 19 pounds each from Amazon! Hey, it's Legs Diamond! :) I didn't order from RC because they wouldn't let you order them on the website - at least on my PC - even 24 hrs before the due release date. I'd been caught out with the 2018 reissues getting them late so just wanted them as soon as I could.
  • Options
    richardbrichardb Poole, Dorset
    edited April 2021
    I see RC are releasing the Avalon 'Everyman a king' mini album plus 7 bonus tracks! At last something I can get truly excited about...
  • Options
    @richardb
    Yes, I totally agree. Let's hope that they didn't use shitty source material for this one. I will definitely wait with my purchase until I've heard it or at least read some serious reviews.
  • Options

As a small update: I've purchased both "The High And The Mighty" and "Fortune 410" from Donnie Iris and must say that the sound is excellent to my critical ears. Well done Rock Candy!

• Options

I bought all 4 of the Donnie Iris reissues (thanks Rob!) and they all sound really good to me too.

• Options
    PatrickHemmingPatrickHemming Tampa Florida
    edited August 2021

My ears aren’t as critical as others, not being a musician, but I love the Rock Candy Remasters in my collection. Which are many at this point.

• Options
    edited September 2021

I just bought the remaster of "Twitch" by Aldo Nova. I am looking forward to reading the booklet and checking it out. Was this ever mentioned here? If it was I don't recall it. No bonus tracks. It would have been great if they could have included the outtake " Hangin' On A Heart Beat".

• Options

I got my copy of this today! It sounds great but the highlight is Malcom Dome's essay combined/intertwined with Aldo's interview. After listening to this today, I always come to the same conclusion that Aldo and Tom Deluca should have written more songs together.

I hope "Blood On The Bricks" gets the RC treatment.

• Options
    gdazegodgdazegod Antipodes
    edited September 2021

The major complaints about some of Rock Candy's reissues are twofold:

1) the dubious quality of some of the source material used.
    2) the heavy compression and brickwalled production on some of these.

We've discussed the merits of these issues in previous threads.

To offset this, the mere fact that some absolute rarities in our genre of preference are being reissued by the label more than makes up for it.

I'm thinking of the two Hotel albums, those Leg Diamond albums obviously, Roadmaster. Need I say anymore.

G