Phillips MacLeod - Phillips MacLeod (rewrite)

geoviangeovian Earth Orbit
edited March 28 in year-1980

Years ago, Eric reviewed this duo's 1979 debut 'Le Partie Du Cocktail', however it was clear that this second self-titled LP is the one that people gravitated to.

Phillips MacLeod - 1980 Phillips MacLeod
ARTIST: Phillips MacLeod
ALBUM: Phillips MacLeod
LABEL: Polydor
SERIAL: PD-1-6255
YEAR: 1980

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Flag USA
LINEUP: Robert Phillips - vocals, guitars * Sean Macleod - bass * Andy Newark, Art Wood - drums

TRACK LISTING: 01 Young Girls * 02 Four Time Baby * 03 On My Way Home * 04 East Side, West Side * 05 The Night We Met * 06 Down By The River * 07 Lu Ann * 08 If You're The One * 09 Little One

WEBLINKS: NA

Background

Years ago, Eric reviewed this duo's 1979 debut 'Le Partie Du Cocktail', however it was clear that this second self-titled LP is the one that people gravitated to. Love it loathe it (like vegemite sandwiches) this album will either do it for you or it won't. Thankfully from my perspective, it 'does it for me'. Let's dig in.

The Songs

'Young Girls' sounds like something Nick Gilder or Ian Lloyd would deliver during this same timeframe. Don't know if PMac would get away with such touchy subject matter in the 21st century. You know how easily offended modern society can get.

I enjoyed the slinky 'Four Time Baby', sort of like a melodic version of Whitford/St Holmes meeting St Paradise down at the local for a jam and a few beers. Love the tasty guitar throughout.

'On My Way Home' keeps the 1980 theme intact, interesting enough to hold some attention, classic rock with a hint of Boston in the lead guitar area. 'East Side, West Side' also follows in a similar vein; I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. 'The Night We Met' changes lanes throughout, medium level verses combined with coarse guitar runs make for a good listen.

'Down By The River' might seem like corny subject matter (hey The Osmonds added the term 'lazy' to theirs), but listening to this tells me that this outfit like many others practiced their craft at countless week day and weekend gigs without the use of a keyboardist. 'Lu Ann' is the album's ballad, but the guitar power chords are straight out of the Boston playbook. That much is obvious.

'If You're The One' reverts to a more basic form of rock 'n roll, while 'Little One' could be a Styx co-write, given the regimented drum parts, overall arrangement and vocal equivalence to the Shaw, Young and DeYoung harmonies.

In Summary

The most notable thing with this album is how full it sounds with just four blokes (two drummers), vocals guitar, bass and drums. I reckon they've rehearsed the hell out of these songs in pre-production before committing it to tape. It shows.

In the here and now, 'Phillips MacLeod' has never seen an official CD reissue and nor has 'Le Partie Du Cocktail' for that matter. So if there's an adventurous reissue label willing to do it justice, you'll be doing melodic rock fans the world over a big favour.

[Note: this review has been completely rewritten from the original submitted a few years ago.]

Video

Lu Ann

Young Girls

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.