edited August 2 in year-1986

ARTIST: Crowded House
ALBUM: Crowded House
LABEL: Capitol
SERIAL: CDP-546693
YEAR: 1986
CD REISSUE: Discogs Reissue List

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image image

LINEUP: Neil Finn - vocals, guitars * Nick Seymour - bass, vocals * Paul Hesyer - drums

Additional Musicians: Tim Pierce - guitar * Jim Keltner - drums (#3) * Jerry Scheff - bass (#3) * Noel Crombie, Jim Gilstrap, Andy Milton, Joe Satriani - backing vocals * George Bermudez - percussion * Heart Attack Horns - horns * Mitchell Froom - keyboards, production

TRACK LISTING: 01 Mean To Me * 02 World Where You Live * 03 Now We're Getting Somewhere * 04 Don't Dream It's Over * 05 Love You 'Til The Day I Die * 06 Something So Strong * 07 Hole In The River * 08 Can't Carry On * 09 I Walk Away * 10 Tombstone * 11 That's What I Call Love

WEBLINKS: Official Website

Background

They were one of the most successful Australasian bands of the mid-late 80's, membership split between New Zealand and Australia.

Formed in 1985, and orginally called The Mullanes, the trio of Neil Finn, Paul Hester (both previously with Kiwi rockers Split Enz, and bassist Nick Seymour (younger brother of Mark Seymour, both a solo artist and main-man of Hunters And Collectors), the band formed in Melbourne during 1985.

Ex The Reels guitarist Craig Hooper was also part of the Mullanes line-up, and just as the band picked up a deal with Capitol Records and were set to fly to Los Angeles to record their debut album, Hooper pulled out, leaving the band as a trio.

Upon arrival, Capitol asked for a band name change, and then producer Mitchell Froom (Gamma) was bought in to produce the whole thing.

The Songs

The horn work is the first thing I notice on 'Mean To Me' which became the bands first single. It contains the classic Kiwi lyric: 'She came all the way from America, she had a blind date with destiny, and the sound of Te Awamutu, had a truly sacred ring'.

'World Where You Live' factors in some rhodes keyboard work, but things get going on the jovial 'Now We're Getting Somewhere', probably the third best known track from the album.

Next up is the popular 'Don't Dream It's Over', inescapably 80's and an iconic tune from that era, which made it to #1 in many countries around the world except for USA (#2) and home-base Australia (#8).

The jangly 'Something So Strong' was the other hit from the album, a fresh and breezy tune that was on airwaves all around Australia and New Zealand during 1987.

The other single 'World Where You Live' didn't fare as well as the others, but along with tracks such as the poignant 'Tombstone' and a couple of tougher efforts like 'Can't Carry On' and 'I Walk Away, the album was well covered for choices.

In Summary

It took awhile for audiences to click onto Crowded House, not helped by Capitol/EMI's initial indifference (perhaps not understanding the nature of Australasian music of the time). This was even reflected in audiences Down Under too.

Once the ice cracked with 'Don't Dream It's Over', the rest was history. The song catapulted Crowded House onto the main-stage, and they became musical icons, from thsi part of the world at least.

No doubt we will look at one or two other CH releases to flesh out their discography here at GDM.

Videos

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.