EricEric USA
edited August 2 in year-1986

ARTIST: Adams, Dave
ALBUM: Dancing In My Sleep
LABEL: Elektra
SERIAL: 60483-1
YEAR: 1986

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: image

LINEUP: Dave Adams - lead vocals, keyboards * Bobby Patterson - bass, background vocals * Geoff Dugmore- drums * Don Ruzek, Phil Palmer, Rod Dash - guitars * Dick Cuthell - trumpet * Tessa Niles, George Chandler, Jimmy Chambers, Jimmy Helms - background vocals

TRACK LISTING: 01 Tears * 02 Dancing In My Sleep * 03 Love, Love * 04 Something's Happening * 05 What Do You Say, Say * 06 Fighting * 07 Tea & Symphony * 08 Where Do We Go From Here * 09 Shattering

Background

Dave Adams was the driving force behind North Carolina prog poppers Glass Moon; a band like upstate New Yorker's 805 should have had greater notoriety outside their regional followings. Formed in the early 1970's, the group was influenced by the usual name-checked British progressives of the day although from what I gather from those in the know rivaled the sound of the Dixie Dregs with their high-octane instrumental workouts. They broke-up briefly in 1977 but reformed a year later, releasing two albums for the small but uber-cool Radio Records and yielded a couplet of chart successes with their versions of Peter Gabriel's 'Solsbury Hill' and The Hollies 'On A Carousel'. By 1984 Glass Moon, now spelled Glassmoon was essentially Adams with a few hired guns. The final LP 'Sympathetic Vibration' released on MCA was a streamlined '80s synth-pop hybrid and a natural progression to Dave's one and only solo album 'Dancing In My Sleep'.

The Songs

Pictured with Adams on the back sleeve photos is Bobby Patterson; a carry-over from the 'Sympathetic Vibration' sessions and playing a significant role here, yet neither carved out an original direction as 'Dancing In My Sleep is interchangeable with a gazillion other albums released the same year and decade. Co-produced with Nigel Walker (Japan, David Sylvian, Gary Moore) opener 'Tears' is a catchy, hi-tech number swirling in the same universe as Vision Fields with choppy guitar and just a dash of prog while the title track emulates Howard Jones with haunting keys and ultra-memorable chorus. Sadly the rest album while built on strong melodies including Patterson's sole songwriting contribution 'Fighting' which occasionally reminds me of 'A Kind of Magic' era Queen and the wistful 'Tea & Symphony' harking back to Roxy Music's 'Avalon', has one of two problems that shadowed Glass Moon; great when it came to established covers and as in Adam's case, a homogenized sound lacking anything distinctive or remotely original.

In Summary

Four songs from 'Dancing in My Sleep' appear on the retrospective Dave Adam's Glass Moon - 'Moon Hits and More' released in 2005 and includes previously unreleased material. It's still in print and sounds a whole lot better than the Renaissance reissues of the first two Glass Moon albums.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.