C.B Victoria - Dawning Day

EricEric USA
edited August 1 in year-1976

While much of this record's quality can be attributed to Matthew McCauley's string arrangements, C.B Victoria wrote excellent material and both mesh together perfectly, 'Dawning Day' is still very easy to find from the usual sources and receives my highest recommendation for anyone into '70s pop.

C.B Victoria - Dawning Day
ARTIST: C.B Victoria
ALBUM: Dawning Day
LABEL: Janus
SERIAL: JXS 7029
YEAR: 1976

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada Flag
LINEUP: C.B Victoria - lead vocals, piano, organ

Additional Musicians: Matthew McCauley - acoustic guitar, keyboards, piano, swiss bells, synthesizer, backing vocals, string arrangements * Fred Mollin - acoustic guitar, percussion, backing vocals * Bob Mann, David Sinclair, Brian Russell - guitars * Tom Szcesnaik, Rick Fruchtman, Ken Johnstone - bass * Barry Keane, Brian Leonard - drums * Eric Robertson - piano, organ * Bert Hermiston - sax * Colina Phillips, Judy Tate, Debby Flemming, Blue & Alta Gray - backing vocals

TRACK LISTING: 01 You Make Everything Alright * 02 I Don't Believe In Miracles * 03 Rebecca * 04 Anytime At All * 05 Daybreak Memories * 06 To Claudia On Thursday * 07 Natalie * 08 Come And See My Man * 09 Dawning Day

Background

Here's a perplexing singer-songwriter that only in recent months I've tried to find some background on and it hasn't been easy let me tell ya! What I do know is C.B. Victoria was from British Columbia and possibly recorded a single before or after this LP which included the song 'Rock Back To Me'. I've never been able to locate a copy if it exists at all, but the song did appear on the impossible to find bootleg series 'Great White North' which in over fifty discs (!) covered lost Canadian soft rock from the early '70s.

To add further confusion C.B. also appeared on a Brazilian disco compilation 'The Frenetic Dancin' Days Discotheque' which features a dance version of the Russ Ballard tune 'I Don't Believe In Miracles' made popular by Colin Blunstone. Apparently this take, not the one found on 'Dawning Day' was a hit in the Far East. Needless to say, I've put off trying to find the comp for obvious reasons.

Victoria's only LP was co-produced by Fred Mollin whose work can be heard on albums by Stan Meissner, Michael Stanley Band, Dan Hill and the Marc Tanner Band in conjunction with Matthew McCauley, both teaming up a few years later for the 1980 America album 'Alibi'.

The Songs

Musically, 'Dawning Day' is wonderful orchestral pop '70s style. Opener 'You Make Everything Alright' reminds me an awful lot of the Scottish band Blue and the aforementioned cover of 'I Don't Believe In Miracles' is beautifully orchestrated as it should be with C.B.'s soaring vocals much like that of Colin Blunstone, although this version is a tad more upbeat.

'Rebecca' is an out-of-this world gorgeous ballad which words can't describe and the cover of The Beatles 'Anytime At All' while unnecessary, adds something different to the original with the addition of sax achieving a similar sound to Henry Gross after all is said and done.

In my opinion the best cuts are left for side two, the sweet piano based Michel Polnareff pop of 'To Claudia On Thursday' and 'Natalie' leaving this reviewer in a puddle of mush with Victoria moving further into Elton John territory on 'Come And See My Man' and the title track 'Dawning Day'.

In Summary

If anyone out there can tell me what happened to C.B. Victoria, drop me a line. While much of this record's quality can be attributed to Matthew McCauley's string arrangements, Victoria wrote excellent material and both mesh together perfectly. 'Dawning Day' is still very easy to find from the usual sources and receives my highest recommendation for anyone into '70s pop.

All written content on this website belongs to GloryDazeMusic.com copyright. Duplication elsewhere on the Internet is strictly prohibited, unless specific permission is granted.